Friday, April 14, 2017

Reflection on Writing

For the sake of this blog post, I am going to reflect on my memoir that I wrote on Bekah Griffin. I'm choosing to reflect on this piece because it was the one I most enjoyed throughout the course of this class, but I also think I had more difficulty writing it because it was a subject that I cared so genuinely about, and I did not want to get it wrong.

When I was deciding on a subject for my memoir, I sifted through a lot of people that I admired, but I ultimately landed on Bekah because I immediately knew the one aspect of her personality that I wanted to capture--her passion. Not only did I want my writing to convey her passion that touched my life in such a tangible way, but I also wanted the excuse to pick her mind more about how she got to be the way that she is today.

I hit extreme writers' block when writing this memoir, though, and I realized it was because I so badly wanted to convey all that Bekah is, but I felt like words fell short. So, after some encouragement from a peer review, I realized that less may be more in the way that I attempted to describe her passion but with a hesitancy that I knew I could not do her justice.

Honestly, when I was finished writing this, I was pretty proud of it. I felt like it showed a shift in my writing from being just words to how the writing in itself can convey my message alongside the words. I felt like I had accomplished a seemingly-impossible task--giving people a taste of Bekah without ever seeing her face or meeting her personally. She is a hard person to summarize in just a few pages, but I think the focus on her passion allowed her warm and engaging personality shine through the words. I hope my readers would agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment